Office of the Registrar records
Abstract
This collection contains records documenting students at OHSU and predecessor institutions.
Dates
- Creation: 1921 - 2003
Creator
- Oregon Health & Science University. Office of the Registrar (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on access. This collection is open to the public.
Conditions Governing Use
OHSU Historical Collections & Archives (HC&A) is the owner of the original materials and digitized images in our collections, however, the collection may contain materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials. Consult with HC&A to determine if we can provide permission for use.
Biographical / Historical
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) traces its origins to the late 19th century, beginning with the establishment of the University of Oregon Medical Department in 1887 in Portland. This development built on earlier medical education efforts in the region, including the Willamette University School of Medicine founded in 1867 and later moved to Portland. In 1913, the University of Oregon and Willamette University consolidated their medical programs, forming the University of Oregon Medical School. Four years later, in 1919, the school relocated to its long‑term home on Marquam Hill after receiving significant land donations from the Oregon‑Washington Railroad and Navigation Company and the family of C. S. “Sam” Jackson.
Throughout the 20th century, the institution expanded its academic and clinical functions. The campus grew to include facilities for dentistry, nursing, and public health, as well as important affiliated hospitals and research institutes. Key developments included the opening of Multnomah County Hospital on the Marquam Hill campus in 1923 and the consolidation of statewide health programs under the university’s oversight. This period also saw increased emphasis on biomedical research and the creation of specialized centers focused on pediatrics, rehabilitation, and advanced scientific study.
In 1974, the institution became an independent public entity known as the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center, bringing its various schools and clinical units under one administrative structure. It was renamed Oregon Health Sciences University in 1981, reflecting its expanding research and education missions. A major milestone came in 2001 when OHSU merged with the Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology, adopting its current name and further broadening its scientific and technological capabilities. Today, OHSU operates as a comprehensive public research university integrating health sciences education, clinical care, and biomedical research across multiple campuses in Oregon.
Full Extent
0.42 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Language of Materials
English
Separated Materials
This collection contains records documenting students at OHSU and predecessor institutions. The processed physical records include photocopies of graduate lists dating from 1921 through 1975, and commencement programs from 1971 through 2003 with hand-anotated demographic information included.
Subject
- Oregon Health & Science University (Creator, Organization)
- University of Oregon. Medical School (Creator, Organization)
- University of Oregon Health Sciences Center (Creator, Organization)
- Title
- Guide to the Office of the Registrar records
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- Steve Duckworth
- Date
- 2026
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Oregon Health & Science University, Historical Collections & Archives Repository
